Thursday, January 29, 2009

A bag of trash

We've been ambivalent about hiring domestic help. It feels exploitative to hire anyone for the wages they request. But the marble floor needs to be mopped every day or it gets gritty, even if we leave our shoes at the door. So we decided to hire someone. Wendy tried to communicate this to the guard yesterday, and he seemed to understand. Later in the morning a man and a woman appeared in the hallway. The woman carried cleaning gear and the man held a bag of trash. The man said something in Gujurati. I understood nothing. He did not gesture toward the cleaning woman. I went to the kitchen and returned with a huge plastic bag full of garbage. I handed it to him. He accepted it. Later we found out he had come to introduce the cleaning woman. He took the trash anyway. We are the inscrutable foreigners. Ask us anything and we happily respond with a bag of trash. Thank you so much. I think I'll try it with the internet guy.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for garbage venerable Jay. May I have more?

    I want to know more about languages. Who speaks what when.

    ReplyDelete